What's Your Risk?
“Learning about resistance started me on a new path.”
Even just a few missed doses could lead to medication resistance. One of the most important things you can do to reduce this risk is to stay 100% adherent to your HIV medication. Be sure you take your medications as your healthcare provider prescribes, at the same time, every day.
HOW HIV RESISTANCE OCCURS
Here are a few questions to help you determine your risk of missing a dose. Understanding factors like these will help you find a treatment that’s right for you.
- Do you ever have days that don’t follow your usual routine? (oversleep, miss meals, houseguests)?
- Is your work schedule ever unpredictable?
- Do you often have a hard time remembering things?
- Do you tend to miss appointments or frequently arrive late for things?
- Have you ever had challenges taking any medications on time in the past?
- Have you ever run out of a medication or forgot to refill it on time?
Many people struggle to take their HIV medication every day at the same time, the same way, without missing a dose. If you answered yes to one or more of these questions, you should talk to your healthcare provider about your risk for developing medication resistance, and a treatment option with a high genetic barrier against resistance.