Why being open with your healthcare provider matters
Everyone is different. So are the HIV treatment options available. Being open about your lifestyle and talking about any treatment concerns with your healthcare provider may help. Together, you could figure out the right treatment plan that works for you.
How you live your life is important to your healthcare provider.
Here are some things that you can talk about:
- Your daily routine
- How you sleep
- Where and how often you travel
- How you eat
- If it’s easy or hard for you to start a new routine
It’s normal to have some concerns about starting treatment and living with HIV. Below are some potential concerns that you may want to share with your healthcare provider. These will be helpful when talking about treatment options.
- Side effects
- The risk of developing medication resistance
- Remembering to take my medications regularly
- What happens if I miss a dose
- Fitting medication into my daily routine
- Swallowing pills
- Paying for my medication
- Passing on HIV to my partner
- Other medications that I take
A great way to be ready for your appointments is to bring a list of questions and concerns to talk about. That way, you won’t forget to ask.